Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Soup Of The Day

I have my sweet friend R to thank for the inspiration for this post.  Just yesterday she reminded me of this soup I used to make at the restaurant we both used to cook at.  It's a super easy and really delicious one, an Indian staple - Mulligatawny.  

It all started with a homemade stock I made by boiling the bones of the chicken we cooked a couple days ago, a couple onions (skin too) and about half a bunch of celery (leaves too).  I let it simmer for a few hours then strained it and set it aside. 


In the meantime, I prepared the rest of the ingredients.  I added chicken and julienned carrots to this batch, which I don't usually do but thought it'd be nice.

That's half a white onion, about three inches of ginger, minced, six cloves of minced garlic, all the spices, half a lemon, two chopped chicken breasts, three small carrots, about 3/4 cup of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of basmati.
Clockwise: 2 tsp each of ground fenugreek, cumin, ground coriander, 1.5 tsp tumeric, 1 tsp chili powder.
I melted a good chunk of butter in my pot and sauteed the onions, garlic and ginger until they became tender and the smells were making me drool a bit, haha.


Then I tossed in the spices....


 .....and blended them well, covered the pot and let all those ingredients get to know one another.


After a few minutes, I added the chicken and a few tbsp of the stock to encourage steam.  I re-covered the pot, but stirred occasionally until the chicken was cooked.  Then I poured in the stock, covered the pot and let it simmer for about twenty minutes.


All that was left then was the coconut milk and about 2 tbsp of the lemon juice.  I added a bit of salt to taste and served that baby up with some naan bread.  YUM.  



Till next time friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment