Friday, September 30, 2011


Soooo I suppose I jumped the gun a bit with the last post in so far as my declarations of weekly creations and posts is concerned.  I've got my reasons of course (distractions:  moving in!  parties!  film fest!  cute boyfriend!  disastrously disorganized workspace!  road trips!) but no matter!  This entry, this one you are reading right now, let's consider this one to be the first official post and we'll just go on from here.  Agreed?  Great, thanks!

So the one good thing about not having posted in a while is that I at least have a few things to show for myself project-wise.  The first one I'll show you is one I was actually working on when I started the blog a few weeks ago.  It's a ceramic skull that my BF had sitting around that I painted to look like a Mexican sugar skull.

I coated the whole thing with a white base coat first and then spent many hours here and there over about a week painting all the little details.  It's odd, I like painting either in this sort of style, with a teeny little brush and lots of elements to look at, or painting on huge canvases with big brushes and a bolder style.

Next is a project that took me forever, not just because I'd never done it before and so had to really think about each step a lot and work through some trial and error, but also because it was meant to be a birthday gift to my sweet, sweet BF who, as most of you know, I now live with.  So I had to sneak work time in when he was at work or when ever else I could sneak a minute in here and there.  It's a leather bound journal.

As I said, it was my first time so it's not as perfect as I'd like it to be, but I'll get better at it with practice.

I used sheets of paper from two sketch books I got and trimmed them down.  Then I folded them all in half and put them together in groups of five full sheets each, making several ten page sections.  I punctured holes down the side and began to sew the sections together with a waxed thread.  Now here is where the trial and error came in.  I soon realized that by pulling the thread tight I was tearing the paper, but if I didn't pull it tight the book would be sloppy and loose.  After a while I figured out that if I cut very thin pieces of fabric and sew that along the edge of each section of paper, the fabric would prevent the paper from tearing.  Yay!

Next I cut the lovely leather, donated by my sweet and also artsy-fartsy friend T, so that the edges would overlap the cardboard I cut for the cover.  Unfortunately I cut one edge a bit too short and I was barely able to fold it over.  Lesson learned!  Double and triple check before you cut!! Anyway, I was mostly able to cover up my mistake with some lovely paper I found at the art shop down the street:

I chose the Parisian themed paper on account of it being one of the BF's favorite places.

Next projects are a necklace and a breacelet.  I've been making jewelry for, like, twenty years and have decided that I am going to really get at it and make my business official.  I'm hoping to do some craft fairs over the holiday season and get my stuff out there.  Anyhoo, here are a couple samples of what I've been working on lately.

The pendant is a lovely oval tiger's eye.  I found a strand of them a while back and each bead was almost perfect in it's striations, a good find for sure.  The pendant is hanging on a sterling silver ring and from that are some 4mm tiger's eye, little rondelles of amazonite, some stamped Mexican silver beads, drop shaped onyx and more tiger's eye, all on eye pins.

Next is a cuff I made with crystal, turquoise and lapis lazuli.  Though you can't really tell from the pictures, the clear little faceted crystals that I used are Swarovski quality crystals that I discovered in a store in Toronto.  Swarovski quality for 1/25th of the price!!  (Hey, any of you going to TO any time soon?)  Anyway, the beads are all on eye pins and the eye pins are strewn together on a stretchy cord for a claspless and unbroken look.  

The final project I'll share today is a set of chimes I made.

I strung brass bells, Chinese coins, and brass and jade beads on waxed thread in varying sequenced strands.  I attached then all to bamboo skewers and, well, that's about it.  I think I will wrap the waxed thread all the way down each of the skewers both to better secure each of the strands to the bamboo, and to make it look a bit more polished.  

Wow, well this has taken forever so rest assured, I shan't be skipping posts from here on in! But whatevs, the post is posted now so all is right in the world.   I promise I will try my best to avoid distraction in the future.....oh, speaking of distraction, I'll leave you all today with a nice little one:


Oh, and thanks for popping in!  See you next week!

(PS: Thanks to BF, J, D and G for putting the pressure on me to get my butt in gear for the next post!)

1 comment: